I really think I am somehow not getting the air out of the whole system or I
have two faulty master cylinders.  Before I buy more parts or waste more
fluid I am going to pull the master cylinder apart and be sure the check
valve in the far end is not stuck.
  In reading on some vw specific sites it seems it may be my wisest choice
to buy an OE German master cylinder as the rebuilt ones are the most likely
to have the problems I am having.  I have NO pedal at all until I pump the
hell out of the brakes and then I can get the rears to lock.  I have taken
it off the road and it just sits now as I have been so frustrated with it.
It is way too quick and small to have marginal brakes.

Mike