My family has owned '82, '86, and '91 Jettas, and I have an '82 Vanagon with an '86 TD in it. Yes, the oil cap removal blowby test works. They switched from solid to hyd lifters in '86, so the '82 has solids.

Of all we had, we liked the '86 the best. The earlier ones were pretty primitive and shaky, the '92 was more refined, but more cheaply built. The '86, for some reason, even though it had the same engine, was faster, quieter, got better mileage, and was more robustly constructed.

Still, they're good, economical, reasonably rugged little cars. Pretty noisy on the highway, though, and really revved and screaming at 75. That's why I got rid of mine and got a 300SD. But arouind town, they're fun to drive, so long as you don't mind the leisurely acceleration, and get 40+ mpg.

Watch for cracked heads--check the coolant bottle for oil residue. If they're some in there, you're due for a new head.

Dan

I know that at least a couple of you (dave M and Casey) are into these. I'm interested in buying a 1982 VW Jetta diesel, 210K miles, always garaged, a 2 owner car in reasonably well kept condition. Does the same oil cap removal blow by test work for these engines? Also, are these equipped with hydraulic lifters or solid ones that require adjustment every so often?
TIA,

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon

--
Dan Weeks