We recently bought a 98 S500 with clear fluid and good suspension. A
month later the fluid was black and the rear end was bottoming out. I
knew for sure something was wrong when I noticed the headlight beams
bouncing like crazy when hitting minor (for Ohio) bumps. I suspect
that the failure of one puts enough additional stress on the other to
kill it good and quick. New ones from Rusty fixed it right up. That is
the second car I've replaced them on. In both cases the darkening of
the hydraulic fluid was dramatic. You will also notice the fluid level
going down as the gas in the accumulators is displaced with fluid.

-Dave Walton