Andrew, your description is exactly that of collapsed spheres. Get them replaced IMMEDIATELY, because every bump is doing damage to the system. It may be nothing that will show soon, but it will shorten the life.

So I've been riding around on the restored SLS suspension in my W123 1985
300TD.  While it's a huge improvement over the ride on the conventional rear
shocks that I had removed and discarded, I do notice some jarring when
driving over bumps.  The air cells are probably original with the car,
although they were disconnected from the SLS and not in use between 1995 and
2011.  I am wondering whether it would improve the ride if I installed new
accumulators.  Or to put it another way, what are the symptoms of air cells
gone bad?  Is this a sudden onset or a gradual process as the leak out?

Thanks to all in advance.

Andrew
1983 and 1985  300TD