I've read somewhere that MB transmissions are designed/tuned to expect "normal"
power and torque from the engine they are bolted to.  An engine which is not
providing full power is easily mis-diagnosed as a transmission problem, because
the shifting is wrong.  That may be what happened to you.

Do you know of any other car with a gasser transmission behind a diesel engine?
--
Max,
Charleston SC