'Don't mean to seem a bit biased, but because of what I've seen, I really don't care tob buy a car that has "lived" in FL, and certainly not one that has lived there short time (basically, just long enough for DMV to wash the title).

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "LWB250" <lwb...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Best source for "carfax" report?

South Florida, specifically. I can't vouch for the rest of the state, although everything I ever bought around here (Tampa) was legit.

I used to have a branch in Pompano with a former employer, which I would visit every week or two. More often than not, I would have someone from one of the lists at the time, especially the SL list, who would ask me to check out a car in that area for them.

If you drive down Collins Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale it is literally covered with independent high line car dealers for blocks. Lots of bling, pretty cars on turntables, etc.

Every single one I ever looked at was a bondo beater. Especially the 190SLs, which seemed to be especially popular at the time. Got to the point where I just told them not to bother, as it wasn't worth our time.

I spoke with a local, who told me the following:

South Florida, specifically Lauderdale and Miami, are essentially the "warehouse club" of the islands (Caribbean) and South/Central America. This I already knew.

Businessmen and their families routinely visit once a month, for example, and shop til they drop and fill a container to ship back home.

Cars like these are highly desirable in these regions, since few were ever imported, so it's not uncommon for them to see a car on the Internet and purchase it sight unseen.

Since these transactions are routinely done with an LC (letter of credit) which has to be executed before the container ever leaves port, the car is long paid for before it ever lands in it's new home.

As a result of these "less than discerning" buyers, who also have no real point of reference when it comes to condition, and may not care anyway, there is a cottage industry of dealers who cater to this market in the area.

At least that how I see it.

Dan