Thanks, that is what I was after. Kinda pricey for little plastic bits. Sounds like I have to get it out before I can order the right parts. Maybe I will get lucky and just have one slipping on the shaft.

As has been said, extend the steering wheel all the way, then pull the cluster using the tools OR pieces of coat hanger with a very short and sharp (~1/4" 140-160 degree) bend in the end. Next visit http://www.odometergears.com/products/Mercedes-Benz/126+Chassis+79-91+Diesel/53 and figure out which gear setup you need and click purchase. (I promise I have no affiliation with OdoGears, just a 2+ purchase satisfied customer) Buy the three gear set as a new gear will quickly strip the old gear(s) and make you repeat the process. Don't ask how I know this....

 Luther   KB5QHU    Oak Park, IL
'87 300SDL (312,xxx mi)
'91 Dodge Ram 150 (290,xxx mi)