Several days ago, son bought grandson a new jacket and had the seller ship it
to grandson in France.  Son had waited for the jacket to go on a super sale
before purchasing it.  When the jacket arrived at its destination in France,
the UPS guy demanded 103 Euros (~$140 US) in cash (no check) import duty;
grandson told UPS guy, "I don't have that much cash on me.  What can I do?"
UPS guy replied, "Ride with me to an ATM."  Evidently, seller/shipper had
declared the full retail value on the customs form.  Lesson learned, I hope.
(Actually, I had feared such when I first learned that they were going to
purchase a new jacket and send it to him.  If he had taken the proper jacket
with him in his luggage coupla months ago, there would have been no import
duty.)

Wilton