Junior year in college.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max" <meadedil...@bellsouth.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - customs

Grandson is there for school, right? Perhaps school has a personal property office for foreign students that can help with a refund? I faced a similar issue years ago in Italy. In that case, I had the diamond engagement ring added to my household property, but I did have to pay a customs broker to help. Broker's fee was a lot less than the customs due on the ring.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

WILTON <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

Several days ago, son bought grandson a new jacket and had the seller ship it to grandson in France. Son had waited for the jacket to go on a super sale before purchasing it. When the jacket arrived at its destination in France, the UPS guy demanded 103 Euros (~$140 US) in cash (no check) import duty; grandson told UPS guy, "I don't have that much cash on me. What can I do?" UPS guy replied, "Ride with me to an ATM." Evidently, seller/shipper had declared the full retail value on the customs form. Lesson learned, I hope. (Actually, I had feared such when I first learned that they were going to purchase a new jacket and send it to him. If he had taken the proper jacket with him in his luggage coupla months ago, there would have been no import duty.)

Wilton