Luther Gulseth wrote:
This is what has me baffled. I don't find large puddles under my car, no spatters on the rear end, and the rear under carriage is fairly dry---NOTHING that would show the signs of 1qt/250mi like my SD did before I had the oil filter stand seal changed. THAT was deadly obvious. This has the added sign of smoke which is playing with my mind. The smoke is neither white or blue, it seems to be mixed....

Now, a while back, I did accidentally (absentmindedly) bump the shifter into S when I was cruising down the interstate at 75-80. I was there for 2-3 miles at 5000rpm. I know the engine got up to about 110C, but no warmer. This is the next piece of the puzzle.

That engine can run at 5000 rpm and at 110 deg C almost forever - that did NOT toast it!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi