Howdy Nick,

It sounds like you may have a few different issues here. My comments:

1) Don't use any oil that is xW-30 or thinner. The second number is
the important one, not the first. You want the Mobil-1 5W-40 or 15W-50
variants. Oil consumption may increase with that 5W-30 (or, heaven
forbid, even thinner oil) in the crankcase.

2) You've not mentioned the number of miles per quart. In my limited
experience, a good, tight OM60x engine should use a quart of oil or
less per 6000 miles or so. I wouldn't lose sleep over 4k per quart,
but any worse than that and I'd want to know where it was going. If
you're in the 2k - or 1k (!) - range, that's bad.

3) The oil leak on the passenger side under the head, above the
thermostat housing, is somewhat common - and it's NOT the cause of
your problems. There's a pressurized oil passage in that corner.
Slightly tightening the two bolts that 'bookend' the passage may slow
the leak, but this is not without some risk. I did it on my white '87
and it helped a little. Make sure it's not just a leak from the chain
tensioner, which may be cured with a new aluminum seal.

4) The oil leaks at the injection pump are also somewhat normal,
although annoying. Re-sealing the injection pump is a pretty major
job, but it sure is nice to have a leak-free pump. I've done this on
my cars. You can change a couple of the gaskets without removing the
pump but it's still a LOT of work. Again, this has nothing to do with
your oil consumption problem.

5) The smoke at startup wouldn't bother me much, as long as oil
consumption was not excessive. My guesses would be valve guides/seals,
failing turbo seals, or the head gasket failure by the #1 cylinder.
None of these are particulary common problems however, and all are
kind of hard to troubleshoot.

6) Low power - is this low power off-idle (pulling away from a stop
sign), or low power at mid/high RPM under full load? This could be a
simple as a slightly blocked ALDA line, or fuel filters in need of
replacement, or it could indicate the head gasket problem (but I'd
expect more smoke if that was the case).

7) Although it's not likely, it's a remote possibility that the engine
really does NOT like the thin 5W-30 oil you're currently using, and
maybe just switching back to 15W-50 might reduce consumption
noticeably. It's worth a shot, IMO...

:-)

Best regards,

--