speaking of GM products from the 80's thru early 90's, especially the front wheel drive cars, there is this dude I know locally that has a MANY FWD GM cars, buick etc. He takes the time to swap trannies on them, replace cracked heads, whatever. I was telling him just today that he is the only guy I know that would bother, anybody else would call the pick a part man to come get them.

David Brodbeck wrote:

Donald Snook wrote:

It has become fashionable to bash GM lately.  I recognize that there are
a lot of problems at GM right now and certainly GM made some really
lousy cars in the 70's and 80's.

GM ain't what they used to be, and that's a GOOD thing. I drove my roommate's '99 Chevy Malibu recently and was surprised at how nicely it drove and how well put together it felt. It felt more like a Honda than a GM. It has the usual GM blandness, with styling that just screams "rent me," but other than that it's a perfectly decent car. It's light years ahead of the '87 Buick Somerset he used to have. (Although, to be fair, the Somerset managed to wheeze and backfire its way to over 150,000 miles before someone rear-ended it on I-5 and put it out of its misery.)