On my 1983 300TD, there is an annoying metallic noise (very much like a
noisy speedometer) that is heard intermittently around 20 mph, then
continues at highway speeds > 60.

The noise continues if you disconnect the gauges (plugging the oil filter
line) and shut the engine off while cruising.  We think it must therefore
be wind related, but what could be causing it?  It comes from just in front
of the instrument cluster, and not necessarily inside the car.

So whoever can solve this puzzler by telling me where this noise is coming
from and how to cure it wins a prize - hot pepper jelly or persimmons from
my backyard tree.