Anyway, the brightness on mine is fine.  I was actually trying to dim
them a bit (I like the dash to be as dim as possible while still
readable), and as soon as I turned the adjuster they blacked out.

Allan

Q can get you a new rheostat if you really have a need to dim. I don't know if a 116 is that much different form a 123. There is so much light pollution, that generally the 123 cluster is too dim, not too bright. So I just solder a jumper to bypass the flakey rheostat.