I had a friend in PDX who was DM for BP in the late 80's.  They do train the
monkeys, but not very well.  It is a dead end job and is mostly taken by
crackheads between detox stints, or single mothers with many kids.  If you hang
around long enough you get to move inside to the cash register.  That is where
the moms were.

AS for diesel, you pump your own.  The monkeys will take your charge card and
make sure you are rung up, but will not pump it, because they were not trained
on it and the trucking folks had the law written to exempt them from the pump
jockey silliness.

clay