Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:

>Alex Chamberlain wrote:
>> Ashamed to say i've never changed coolant on any of my M-Bs; always
>had my
>> indy do it.  Need to do the '87 300D now.  I seem to remember there's
>> something tricky about getting the whole system (block, radiator,
>heater
>> core, etc.) to stay open all at once so as to do a full flush.
>(Specially
>> modified thermostat?)
>
>If you flush the system, you'll need the modified t-stat to circulate
>the
>flushing fluid (detergent or citric acid). If you want to change it
>all, you'll
>need to open the block drain.
>
>Mitch.

I used a old t-stat wedged open with a piece of plastic.  I also used a piece
of T pipe with a garden hose fitting spliced into the top radiator hose.  Ran
the citric acid solution for the prescribed time, then, with engine running,
pressurized the garden house, opened the block drain and the radiator drain,
and kept adding fresh water at the top until clear water ran from the bottom.
Next time I'll taste a drop to be sure it's clean water.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC