At least I got home. The axle on my 83 240D has failed. Tap tap tap turned into clack clack clack in about 10 miles of driving. While crawling around under the car on the side of the road, I discovered that the outer boot on the passenger side axle is torn and that is where the sound was coming from. I guess the CV joint is shot. What else could it be? Over the years I have taken most of this car apart but never an axle. Is it difficult to replace? I notice that there are replacement axles available starting at $159.95, remanufactured at $270, and GKN Drivetech at $471. Does anyone have any experience with these?

(This car is a very late 1983 240, one of the last ones sent over.)

Thank you,
John I.
83 240D  288K