SSD isn't good at a lot of repetitive writes, since it causes actual
degradation of the memory cells. For repetitive reads, they work very well.

My desktop machine uses an ssd for the OS and core programs, and a 2Tb WD
drive for everything else like caching and storage.

I also make use of the 8Gb of ram, whenever I do video work or audio work
it's on a ramdisk, same with kernel compilation.

Walt