1.  Take off the spin-on filter.
2.  Look at the rubber gasket very closely.
3.  If it has "any" imperfections, use a new filter.
4.  Look at the outside of the filter.  If it has any
dents or bent places, use a new filter.
4.  Use any kind of oil based grease to very
thoroughly coat the gasket and the surface in the
filter assembly that the filter gasket contacts.
5.  If you don't have a filter wrench that fits
your filter, buy one; their cheap.
6.  Don't fill the filter with diesel fuel before
screwing it on the assembly; pump it in using many
strokes after the filter is tightened.
7.  Very gently and carefully screw the filter on
until the gasket makes contact with the assembly.
8.  Put the filter wrench on the filter at the top, as
close as you can get it to the top rim but not over
the top rim.
Don't use the wrench in any other position on the
filter.
9.  The box the filter came in may indicate how
much you should tighten the filter with the wrench
after gasket contact is made.  If not, my experience
has been using 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
Following is the usual way to do it:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/producthighlights.html

Good luck,