I agree with Jaime.

This is another, "If the engineers at MB thought it was warranted, they would have fitted one to the cars."

Dan

One other thought about this: Fuel in Germany is always good. Electricity in Germany is always stable at 50 HZ and 240 or whatever the voltage is. This is true for most of europe. The radio station frequency does not drift.

In the RTW, the fuel is not always good. The frequency and voltage in the RTW fluctuate. At one place I worked for a couple weeks, they had a grain mill for milling corn. in the corner was a pile of european electric motors, burned out from the frequent brownouts. The engineer said they fail regularly. I had the same problem once. A $30,000 in 1990 dollars new machine went bonkers because the voltage/frequency in the US are not as stable as in the Fatherland. We made them send a new machine and we put in a BIG buck booster to try to clean up the juice.

The becker and Blaupunkt radios I loved in my 110s were too sensitive to stay on station as the US stations drifted.

The Becker radios from the 80s are better. My guess is they've added circuitry to follow the station as it drifts.

When it comes to systems not subject to local conditions: chassis, engine, trans, wheels and tires etc, I always believe the MB engineers know best. Adapting for local conditions, such as fuel, or adding extra heaters for North of the 45th parallel is not verboten in my book.

If the RTW could only be like the Fatherland.... Oh! That was tried 70 years ago and it didn't work out so well.