Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:32:46 -0500
From: "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fwd: E300 dies this morning

" I ran my 200D from san Angelo TX to Peoria, IL (over 1300 miles) over
60 hours during a severe ice storm with no alternator output in 1974.
No electrojuicity didn't keep the good ol Diesels from running.  The
headlights do get dim though."

Yessir.  Also ACC III (monovalve) system goes full-hot and you won't be able
to open the electric windows so even the ram air can make it pretty
unbearable in short order.  In my case (82 300SD) it was a late-light
get-home emergency so my wife held a flash light to illuminate the white
line and I drove.  This worked OK on the highway but we stopped at a
convenience store to recharge (charger kept in trunk) for 30 minutes before
attempting the last 4 miles of winding country road, which really required
headlights.