Since you will be bleeding the system (right?) you will have some waste. The stuff is cheap enough to get a couple of the big (like a liter or so, $3 maybe) bottles and just use what you need, cap off the bottle, and it will keep. I don't think there is a big difference in brands, get the store-branded version DOT3. You might want to then change/bleed again in a couple of weeks, after some of the old gunk is cleaned out by the fresh fluid.

For bleeding, you can go hi-tek with a pressure bleeder http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm or just do the brake pump thing (watch so it doesn't spurt out all over the place on the rebound). At the brake end use a short length of clear tubing that fits over the brake nipple (the soft 1/4" or 3/8" or so?), and an old plastic soda bottle with the tubing stuck down in it, a wire to hang it from something close to the wheel. You can buy a little kit thing for a few bucks that is a hi-tek version of the soda bottle, has the tubing and a little reservoir and it all fits together. You can also use a Mity-Vac to suck the old fluid out from the brake end, that is a bit less messy. You might want to hit the nipples with some PB or Liquid Wrench to loosen them up a bit before you start -- they tend to be all rusted up and hard to loosen. Use a hex socket or something to get them going, so you lessen the chance of rounding them off.

You can use the $2 oil sucker to get the old stuff out of the reservoir, or a turkey baster (Yummmyummm, the gravy tastes like brake fluid Dad!).

Wear nitrile gloves, keep the fluid off your self and the car's paint.

"Push the petal enough so that you don't loose you're breaks"

Report back on your success.

--R

Anthony Galioto wrote:

I am going to bleed out the brake fluid on my 1983 240D.  I will replace all
the fluid in the system as it is still original equipment.  Can anyone tell
me how much fluid I should buy for this job?  I am going to buy DOT  3, is
that the correct type? What is the best brand to get?
Thanks in advance.

Anthony,  1983 240 D 63000mi