Anthony Galioto wrote:
I am going to bleed out the brake fluid on my 1983 240D.  I will replace all
the fluid in the system as it is still original equipment.  Can anyone tell
me how much fluid I should buy for this job?  I am going to buy DOT  3, is
that the correct type? What is the best brand to get?
Thanks in advance.

DOT-4 is what Mercedes recommends now for ALL cars. A qt bottle of the Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 fluid is less than $5 and is at least the equal of any brake fluid I've ever used. You'll have some left over when you're done!

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/vlv/057.jpg

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi