My 80 300SD has a slight rust spot on one rear fender because the crazy cloth
stuff MB put inside the trunk area holds moisture against the metal. Otherwise,
it has no rust and my son-in-law has checked it and he does customized car
work. I think a lot of the northern 116s rusted because the owners did not take
the time to wash the salt out from inside fenders, inside the engine
compartment, etc. I always to that after any salt encounter....and yes, we
don't use much salt here in the Atlanta area.
Best Wishes,

Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.
Monroe, Ga.