LT Don wrote:
Marshall,

Isn't 310,000 miles a bit on the high side?  What items should be expected
to fail around this point?

At 300+kmi many parts of a 190D could be pretty worn! The transmission could be at the end of it's life (check to see how long it takes to shift from neutral to reverse - more than 2 sec and wear IS evident) but it may still be just fine. AC compressor, if not already replaced may need it. Front control arm bushing and rear links are probably in need of replacement. I'd hope the shocks have already been replaced. The alternator (I figure you can replace the voltage regulator/brush assembly, but after the second one goes, the entire alternator needs to be replaced as it's likely to be WORN out) and starter are reaching the end of their life. My 201s even after they passed 200kmi of HARD mixed driving are/were still very reliable cars.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi