Hendrik,

I can only relate the two places I saw such business activities take place:

Dominican Republic - industrial park where goods are assembled, such as
clothing.

I worked with a supplier who was responsible for power production in a large
industrial park outside of Santo Domingo, in the Distrito Nacional.  Companies
such as Levi Strauss used facilities at this park to have local labor take cut
cloth and sew it into finished goods, which were then shipped to the US and
other points of distribution.

The area around the park, prior to it being completed, was typical DR - the
very poor and indigent, living in squalid conditions, often without running
water and proper facilities.  Illness was rampant, children rarely attended
school, and the life expectancy was (I assume) fairly low as a result.

When the industrial park was built and the companies came in, all multinational
corporations like Levi Strauss, Abbott Labs, Eli Lilly, etc., they put roughly
10,000 locals to work. DId they make subsistence wages?  Probably.  However,
they had money, the employers provide health care and built housing off site,
and the general condition of those in the area improved vastly.

Was it enough to make them capable of moving up?  Probably not.

That being said, you have to consider that these countries have no middle class
to speak of.  You are either poor or very rich.  To suggest that their being
paid a living wage that allowed them to improve their lives, have good and
regular meals, establish a place for their families to live and schools for
their children to be educated is inadequate is hardly germane, as there is
nothing for them to aspire to - creating that middle class will take several
generations, and would not be a result of them being paid higher wages.

I also had a customer that was a Nike plant in a rural area of southern
Mainland China, not far from where some of the largest Foxconn facilities are
today (this was in the late 1980s, early 1990s.)  Running water was unknown at
the time the plant was built, and nearly everyone who lived there was a
subsistence farmer.

Nike employed many of the locals, and while I am sure they weren't paid much,
again, the income they did receive far exceeded what they would make from what
little they sold off of their farms.

I know that Nike has taken some hits for their manufacturing policies in the
third world, but again, you have to understand that there is no cultural or
social structure similar to what we have in many of these places.  Even if you
paid these folks in excess of what they would ever expect to make, they
wouldn't know what to do with it nor would there be a mechanism for them to
spend or dispose of it.  The means for spending it in a manner that would
benefit them simply doesn't exist.

Having said that, the situation with current day China and manufacturers like
Foxconn is very different due to many of the fairly recent changes in the
Chinese government and culture.  But - consider where many of these laborers
come from - rural villages where they or their families are subsistence farmers.

There was an interesting discussion on National Public Radio (similar to your
CBF) the other day about this, and it pretty well went the way I described it.
They also drew parallels to the US in the late 19th century and early 20th
century, when the Machine Age was beginning and people were moving from the
farms and an agrarian society to the cities and becoming workers.  There was no
middle class at that time, either, although our society wasn't quite as
stratified as it is in some of these countries.

What is taking place in China and other Third World countries like it is
similar to what took place around the turn of the last century in America.  And
like that time in history, as the workers develop more influence and become a
larger part of the society, they will, G-d willing, begin to alter the
environment much the same way as the labor unions did in the US.

Dan