Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] cold day reflections on owning a diesel

on the other extreme: my four year old, when in a 1991 Toyota Tercel asked (with hand on the window crank), "What is this TURNY thing?"

My Gramma (SW PA, NW W.Va) chewed road tar for gum, had their stove repossesed by Sears & Roebuck (while in use!), and her brothers pushed coal off of moving trains, hopped off and collected it. One of the brothers is now a millionaire but that's becuase he worked four jobs his whole life and never spent a penny. The depression certainly created a mindset in that generation and it is unfortunately lost in my generation. My grandfather can BARELY pass a TV on the side of the road without pulling the copper coil out of the back (and he is by no means poor)...just what happens to people who nearly starve to death.

 Chris

Harry Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: When you were born, I was a Marine without indoor plumbing in Korea.
Growing up, we moved into a house with plumbing when I was in the 2nd grade.

Harry Watkins
Newton, MS
86 SDL Silver
85 300D Euro
86 SDL Gold
81 240D manual trans

----- Original Message ----- From: "LT Don"

You didn't even have indoor plumbing, did you?  I can still remember homes
with outhouses, and I was born in the early 50s.

On 12/3/05, Harry Watkins  wrote:

> Tom Wrote"
>
> "I am sure folks older than me can remember much harder times
> still than the premadonna stuff I am spewing."
>
> Do any of you remember when all headlights were required to have the top
> half of the lens blacked out?
>
> We probably had it bad but didn't realize it.  Many families did not
have
> car, the ones that did shared.
>
> Harry Watkins

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"