Well, therein lies the problem. I only "see" two bolts, the "toothy" one at the top and a pivot bolt at the bottom, both currently loose. Where would the third bolt be? Does it come in from the front with a nut on the backside like the other two? It's been a while since I've dealt with one of these on my first '78 300D whose toothy bolt wasn't up to the task either. On this 240D with the two afore mentioned bolts loose, the alt will move 1/4" or a little more back and forth. I can't move it by hand to get any tightness on the belt.

Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon
1977 240D 315Kmi, Liesel the Diesel