Well, therein lies the problem. I only "see" two bolts, the "toothy" one at the top and a pivot bolt at the bottom, both currently loose. Where would the third bolt be?

I went out and took a close look at the Frankenheap.  There are
three bolts.  The toothed one, the pivot bolt at the bottom,
and the bolt that holds the toothed rack to the engine block.
All three are long.  A very important part is the spacer that
goes on the back side of the toothed bolt, so that when the
nut is tightened down the bracket is pinched to the spacer,
thence to the alternator, and thence to the toothy end of
the bracket.  If the spacer is gone it'll never tighten up
right, and will work loose.

-- Jim