# 1 grandson, a college student in France, visited Auschwitz and Berkinau near Krakow, Poland, last week ('don't think I could bear to see them). I said to him coupla days later, "Please, don't ever forget it, and work hard all of your life to ensure that such atrocities as those perpetrated by the Nazis never happen again." He promised. "I will; I will."

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Someone Needs This -- now social commentary

That little display reminded me of an experience one college summer, I was working in Virginia, living in an apartment in a little complex. Guy below me was some sort of local cop, a fairly young guy, shaved head, jack boots, military-style pants, etc. -- the full hardass cop get-up. I would see him occasionally, nod and say hello, whatever. He was not particularly friendly. One evening he comes home, I was just getting home too, we go in the door, he opens his door, I see in, there is a HUGE Nazi flag on the wall, pictures of Hitler around it. I must admit at that time I was not as fully aware of the full set of social issues about that sort of thing, but it made a rather strong impression on me. There were some girls, friends I knew, also living in the complex, one of them was Jewish. I happened to mention my observation in passing at some point, she went ballistic about the guy -- being a cop, having that crap in his apt, living right there, dressing like a thug, etc. She said she was going to report him to the PD, she was feisty enough I figured she would. Don't know if she ever did or not, but I sorta figured she ought to as that idiot had no standing to be a cop.

--R