Tests this morning would indicate that the compressor clutch is open circuited.
 Ohmmeter readings are open and applying B+ directly to the connector at the
compressor yield no response.

Sigh.

I can't see attempting to replace the clutch in car since I don't have all the
required tools.  What kind of a job is replacing the compressor on this beast
like?  It's really stuck in there, but I'm just looking at it from the top.

Also, this is currently an R12 system.  I really don't want to convert it, as
R134a in these systems just doesn't cut it in this climate.

I have one can of R12, which I am sure will not be enough to charge the system.
 Can I go with propane and not have to hassle with purging the system and all
that?

Suggestions are welcome.  I have not yet convinced myself that I want to do
this, but I don't have any trusted auto AC people around here to work with,
either...

Thanks,

Dan