Personally I would rather see a car in it's natural state rather than detailed. Oil leaks are not natural and can be used as a bargaining tool, coolant colour depends on the manufacturer, Lemfoerders coolant for MB's is green. Looks like you're in a poker game with the sales person, ya gotta figure out if he is bluffing. Guess it depends on how much you want this car, all you can do is give him your best offer and see what happens, or pay what they want. Although my gut feeling is that the sales fella is spinning you a line, with a reputable dealer you make an offer and then they say yes or no. It would be a bit underhanded for them to accept an offer and then show the car to someone else in the hope of getting a few more dollars.

"there is an offer on the car, but no cash on the table, yet"

makes me think that they have accepted that offer but are waiting for the offerer to get the money together, far as I am concerned if they accepted that offer, the car is off the market until such time as the time limit on that deal runs out. If the sales guy said to you that there is an offer on the car but we are happy to take your contact details, in case that deal falls through. then I would believe him. I don't know all the legalities but is it binding if you make an offer on a car and the dealer accepts, or does it only become legal upon signing of a sales contract? However I would think that a serious buyer would be required to place a deposit. I guess if someone looking to buy a 11k car doesn't have money for a deposit, they more than likely would not have the money to buy the car. Anywho, best of luck with it, the R107 is on my list of cars I would like to own, what model/year is it? BTW you can try and sell it to the missus as an investment, not sure but the 107 may well have hit the bottom of the depreciation cycle.

Hendrik
who tries not to deal with dealers too much