I agree wholeheartedly about alarms, lights, etc. How do you suppose perp could have know that less than a week ago I disconnected alarm on 350SDL 'cause it was going off occasionally when SWMBO opened door. Obviously need more sensitive detector for the lights that overlook the parking area.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Car breakin

On 25/03/2012 4:55 PM, WILTON wrote:
Some sorry SOB broke into both of my cars last night probably about 10 to 10:30pm. About that time, I heard three muffled bumps. 'Thought it was "neighbor" activity at some condominiums to my west. SWMBO went out to cars at 1PM today and found the damages to both. Black 91 350SDL has broken rear "windshield," broken left rear window, broken center console sliding door (it wasn't even locked), and severely bent/distorted trunk lid; interior of car ransacked. White 87 300D has broken right rear little triangular window, three pry marks along lower edge of trunk; lower panel at rear of trunk lid slightly distorted; interior ransacked. 'Don't think the SOB gained entry to the trunks - their interiors appear untouched. 'Don't think anything of value was taken from either car. Other than my mobility scooter in 300D trunk, I try not to leave anything of value in the cars. The stupid SOB did not seem to realize that after he had unlocked either of the front doors on both cars, all he needed to do to enter trunks was to punch the trunk buttons. SOB also broke into outbuilding/shop; 'took several hand tools and tried to take John Deere lawn tractor - probably left it because of 2 flat tires and a locking cable with master lock on it.

Wilton

Let me suggest a couple of things. First of all, it may be wise to invest in car alarms. If the horn starts to blow and the lights to flash, the perps may take off before they do a whole lot more harm. I wonder that you do not have a garage or did I mis-understand. Were the vehicles in your garage? If so, then you need the garage alarmed too. I would not suggest confronting them when the alarm goes off but someone else suggested motion lights and video surveillance cameras. Fortunately, that sort of thing is becoming very affordable.

I have had my F150 broken into twice in recent years. Once they just looked in every cubbyhole and appeared to have taken nothing - but they did over $1K damage to the driver's door. That one was when it parked in front of my home overnight. The second time they tried to take the truck. They broke the door lock again and then broke the ignition lock but did not get it to go without the key with the chip in it. Again, more than $1K in damage but at least in that case I did not have to pay the deductible because there was evidence that they tried to steal the vehicle. The way the insurance works here, if they just break into it and there is no evidence of attempted theft of the truck, one must pay the deductible.

They also broke into my younger son's girlfriends car on the street out in front of our home. They smashed out the driver's door window and took a few cd's and a package of cigarettes. Most likely kids. They will break in for a bit of change which most of us seem to dump into cup holders etc. Best to make sure nothing of that nature is visible from outside the car.

Randy