Scott Ritchey <ritche...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>I can't go with the "leave it unlocked" philosophy.

No grizzlies to worry about "on the continent".  First break in, '79 BMW 528i:
rear quarter window.  Smallest window and least expensive.  Sympathetic Italian
friend found a piece of junk yard glass and gave it to me.  Took about half a
day for me to install the glass.  Second break in, '82 Alfa Romeo Giulietta
2.2: plastic door handle.  No broken glass, car still weather tight.  Cost
about $10 and about 30 minutes to replace.  Those Italian thieves were
considerate and clever, didn't trash out the cars.  For all I know, more
thieves went through my cars regularly, but when I left them unlocked, the cars
were whole when I returned.  American thieves are different, I lock my cars
here.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC