Clint,

STEP AWAY FROM ALL THOSE ADDITIVES!

Our most faithful, yet departed, overlord of all things Diesel, Herr Professor
Doktor Marshall Booth was adamant about not using these things but sparingly.
Engines were designed to run fine as they were.  Use of non mercedes fluids and
snake oil was to be done but once a year when taking the car out of storage or
when putting her to sleep for the winter.

The mystery oil has probably gunked up the engine and pistons, as well as
valves.  If you want quality lubricity and wear reduction, use Mobil 1, Delvac,
or Rotella and change oil as usual.  Diesel Purge, once a year to clean the
injector (use as per instructions from vessel looping through injection pump).
There is another lubrisol diesel product you can add to the tank once or twice
a year for valve cleaning.

Biodiesel is a viable option for better lubricity on all fronts.  It will
reduce carbon accumulations and scour the fuel system of all gunk.  Three tanks
of B20 will do wonders.  As Don said, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.  Pedal to the
metal as you climb hills, drive in S around town, so the engine works a bit
harder and gets thing hot enough to burn off moisture and keep things clean.

Get a compression test done.  This will point to where you are having issues in
the engine.  Adjust the valves, as they are probably allowing for unsightly air
access.  Wet compression will show just who is not holding pressure and may
need new rings.  After that much road time, I would bet your rings are shot.

Clean the engine thoroughly on the exterior.  What ever it takes to get
accumulated gunk off.  This will show if there is a seal leak, or if you really
are burning the oil.

That is about all I have in my book.  What I know is what Gump taught me, and
may only apply to a car of her charms

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1972 220D - Gump - She is green, simple and ran
1995 E300D - Cleo - Used by the Queen of Denial
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers