I bought and used one of those JTC compressors just once.  I didn't fit the
hole in the inner fender of the W123 without a bit of grinding.  No way it
would fit a W116.  Quality was questionable.  I got rid of it and bought
the real Klann tool with a friend.  Between the two of us, and the several
jobs I've done with it already, it was worth the extra money.  Its a joy to
use and I don't have to fear for my life or bones nearly as much.

I always recommend buying or renting the Klann tool.

Jaime

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Rich Thomas <
richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

> I am rebuilding the front end of mama's 300SD.  Bought this spring
> compressor that Max found, eng.jtc.com.tw/products/index.**
> php?mode=data&id=355&top=0<http://eng.jtc.com.tw/products/index.php?mode=data&id=355&top=0>
>  it seems like a good stout unit, not a lot different from the one I rented
> from Rusty last time I did the job on the 123.
>
> Rotated the plates around to get a good grip at top and bottom of spring
> (first attempt I needed to get more coils in the tool), got the spring out
> no problem other than fiddling a bit to get the teeth set in the plate
> pockets.  Went to uncompress the spring, got the compressor all the way
> extended and there was still compression on the spring so I can't get it
> out, maybe only a half inch or so.  I try to turn it back to tighten it to
> put it back in the car to compress it a bit and hold it compressed, to
> rotate the plates some to get some slack (they are interlocked top and
> bottom now with the teeth on both ends locked in the pockets on the plates,
> so the whole thing rotates), and I run into this "feature" :
>
> Advantage :Newly developed automatic 3-point safety interlock and
> ***automatic freewheel
>   at end of stroke.***
>
> Which means the screw will not engage the bottom part now, and I cannot
> recompress it to put it back in the car.  SH*T!!!
>
> So I am pondering how to get it compressed enough to rotate the plates
> around a bit to get the thing out.  I am thinking to stick it under the car
> frame and then drop the whole car down enough to compress it a bit (I think
> I only need a 1/4 or 1/2" or so but I am also thinking that is dangerous as
> hell and really do not want to mess up my day.  Or maybe use the floor jack
> (which has a round pocket on the lift arm) to put it under the car and push
> it up a tad.  Or if I should go to oreilly's and borrow one of their cheapo
> compressors, use that just enough to get some slack on the system.  There
> is probably not a whole lot of compression on it at this point, maybe a
> coupla hundred pounds if that, but still enough to make a problem if it
> decides to go for a walk.  Or maybe if they have a press we can push it
> enough to release a plate so I can rotate it out and re-engage the screw.
>
> Ideas?  I was hoping to get this job done this weekend, mostly (gotta go
> to a shop to get BJs pressed) but not if I am running all over creation to
> deal with this stupid thing.
>
> --R

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/