I saw a diesel Benz in Greece that had 1.5million miles on it, a taxi, thing looked almost new. Owner was on his 3rd engine. It was a 78 or 80 or somewhere along in there. I think it started as a 220D and he had a 300 engine in it at the time ("don't tell the tax man!" he said). The roads there are pretty good, but I am sure it had its share of hard knocks in its many years.

I'd be more worried about rust and such than metal fatigue -- wear parts need to be replaced as a matter of course. If potholes are causing enough hurt on the bits, then the suspension must not be doing its job too well, and if it bottoms out or gets pounded hard then something is gonna get broken or bent and will need to be replaced.

--R

On 4/5/12 10:33 AM, Randy Bennell wrote:
I think my point has been lost.

I was commenting on the suggestion that cars can become more valuable as they accumulate really high mileage. I said I did not really want one of those. My suggestion was that at some point one must begin to wonder about metal fatigue in important parts between one's you know what and the road. I have no real concern with 300K miles but at a million, I start to wonder how many potholes have been pounded through.

Randy

On 04/04/2012 7:29 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
Hairline cracks which cause what exactly?

Besides if there are cracks they will rust and show themselves.

-Curt

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:10:55 -0500
From: Randy Bennell<rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Who wanted a TD?

I don't think age is as likely to cause metal fatigue as one million
miles of use on the road hitting potholes etc.
Rubber bits may give up if it sits long enough and if it is not in a dry
storage place it may rust but that is more visible than hair line cracks
in the metal of important bits between you and the road.

Randy