> Dieselhead wrote:

 I found 50 Amp bridge rectifiers.  I figured I could use 2 in
 parallel to be able to pass 50 to 70 amps.

Nope.  Not unless you have two transformers.  Each diode will
have a _slightly_ different turn-on voltage, so the one that's a
touch lower will hog all the current and the other one will not
do much of anything.

You can build your own bridge out of four individual diodes.

 So wire the variac to the rectifiers, (AC side) then hang the
 BHC across the DC side of the rectifiers.  Is that right?
 (DC to the iron cathode and anode.)

If it were me, I would wire a high value resistor across the
capacitor to dissipate the change so that after 10 or 15 minutes
the "hairy" is gone from your BHC.

--   Philip