On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 23:29:06 -0500 Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does 3500 Microfarad count as BHC?

Yes. WHAT VOLTAGE RATING?

> I can buy one on fleabay for $10 or 3 for $20.  I was thinking maybe
> buying 3 and using as many as needed.

> I found 50 Amp bridge rectifiers.  I figured I could use 2 in
> parallel to be able to pass 50 to 70 amps.

Paralleling rectifiers can be tricky and is not recommended (you can
easily get thermal run-away, where one bridge is taking all the current).
The original article said 70 V and 30 A. I'd use just one. You will need
to make sure the rectifier has a good heat sink -- at 30 A, you will be
dissipating roughly 60 W in the bridge and want to keep the bridge's
temperature below 70 deg.C. or so.

> So wire the variac to the rectifiers, (AC side) then hang the BHC
> across the DC side of the rectifiers.  Is that right?    (DC to the
> iron cathode and anode.)

Yes, that is correct. Just remember both output leads will be hot with
respect to ground.

Craig