I know nothing of that engine, but the chain is probably slack because
it has been sitting a while without oil pressure and the tensioner
relaxed.  I wouldn't think this would prevent operation of the fuel
pump, or if it does it would seem to be a significant oversight in the
design.

Allan

1983 300D
1979 300SD