When I was typing that, I thought to myself, someone is going to raise the definition of abuse. I guess I cannot argue but sometimes it is difficult to prevent. We leave my mother's car in the garage at the lake in the fall and it stays inside until mid May. Unfortunately, the spring tends to be damp when the snow melts etc. My shop tools in the same garage - table saw and jointer etc - will need to have the rust removed before I start to use them. I have tried different sorts of treatments to the tops but it is just damp in there.

I would like to find a way to prevent the dampness but about the only thing I can think of that would work, would be to heat it. I don't think that ventilating would help much. The problem is that the air outside is warmer and moist and the cold concrete floor inside sweats as a result of that. We get some of that in the summer when it is humid. I had the same problem in my garage at home in the city for a few days this spring. It looked like someone had sprayed the floor with a hose. There were literally puddles. Essentially because it was very damp out and the inside of the garage was much colder than the outdoor temperature. All was well until we opened the big door and let the warmer moist air into the garage.

If anyone has a solution, I sure would like to hear it. My only thought is that one would need to warm up the concrete floor and that woudl be difficult when there is frost in the ground. If I had the heated floor setup it would be great but I cannot see myself installing that in the garage anytime soon.

Randy