Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:45:03 -0500
From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] The American dream in an automobile

On 16/05/2012 12:25 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
> What kind of mileage do you get with the F150?
> I've been kind of disappointed with my Ranger, in comparison an '03 F150 4wd
> is rated for 15mpg, my '03 Ranger is rated for 16mpg.
> In practice on the highway I can get it up to 20mpg if I really take it easy.
>
> I mention all this to say that getting a smaller truck isn't a great answer
> either.
>
> Mitch's wagon beats all of them and with 4matic you don't have to worry about
> the boat ramp particularly but it requires premium fuel...
>
> -Curt

On average over the past 5.5 years and 63,000 miles, 16.43 but that is
Imperial gallons so deduct about 20% for US gallons.

On the highway in the summer as high as 22+ and in the winter around
town as low as about 10 mpg - Imperial again.

So not wonderful but not horrible for a beast of that size.  5.4 engine
which is about 330 cubic inches and 4 wheel drive etc. It weighs lots
and has big tires so not the easiest rolling thing on the road. Lots of
frontal area for poor aerodynamics too I expect.
The 02 looks fairly smooth but there are big gaps around the grill,
headlights etc. I have wondered about improving the air dam under the
bumper but have not done it yet.

Has anyone looked at the new Ford Focus that they advertise as having
louvers in the grill that open and close as required?

Randy