If it has cracked rings, then most likely the cylinder is scored, and replacing rings will do little to cure the problem. I don't have a 380SL to look at, but I am 98% sure that pan won't come off in the frame.

I think you are looking at boring at least one hole, or a engine swap....IF the compression test result is repeatable.

I don't mind OM621 or OM61x rebuilds, but the SL looks like a monster, and the hood does not lock in the up position and has to be removed. I've never had any appetite for V-engines.

For replacing rings, all he needs to do is break the timing chain, remove
the affected head, remove the oil pan, remove the rod cap, and pull the
piston and rod out the top. He can do that with the engine in the car.
It's a whole lot more work to do it all.

That is an interesting question, can it be done in-situ?
It's #7.  Pulling the engine would be much more work, even
pulling the hood (working alone) would be a chore.  I've
always suspected a cracked ring, since the problem seemed
to come on suddenly.  As I recall, though, that subframe
is not my friend in this.

Rebuilding that Hercules engine has left me with no taste
for this sort of thing, let me tell you.

-- Jim