For desktop/home use... I find it better to purchase drives with 5 year
warranties than ones with 1-3 year warranties.  I have had multiple Western
Digital "desktop" drives with 3 year warranties fail over the years
sometimes, sometimes right after the warranty ended, and sometimes early in
their life.  Western Digital has/had a warranty warranty replacement where
they just send you another drive and a label to send the old one back,
though they do ask for a  credit card in case you don't send the failed
drive back.

In the server world, when they go in hardware RAID arrays, I've seen
everyone's drives fail.  That's why you use hot spares and have a service
contract.