Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
Well its 4 outside, my 85 300D would not start, with the final attempt the glow plug light wouldnt even come on. Burned up 3 glow plugs. Next, 300SDL, starts but will not stay running. I think it has a plugged up fuel filter or something. For the last several days wife says its real slow in the morning. I drove it and if felt like boost cutting in and out but usually went away after a while. Also hear some sort of a squeeling sound sometimes, though it was the belt but really sounds like its coming from the turbo. Yesterday I noticed if you keep it revved up(in park) the RPM goes up and down random like its not getting fuel or something. A boost problem wouldnt cause that. Today, it starts but I cant rev it up and it wont idle very long before it dies. 3rd vehicle, 90 suburban 6.2 diesel, fires right up after 1 glow. No mobile 1, no block heaters used on any.

I can't tell you if it's ice or gelled fuel, but you have ALL of the symptoms of one (or both). Probably MOSTLY gelled fuel from the symptoms (what was the overnight temp?). When either happen, they clog the filter(s) first and if bad enough they may completely prevent ANY fuel from flowing.

The SDL has a fuel heater so after driving it for a while the fuel (even the fuel in the tank) is warmed up (by heated fuel being returned in the return line) it will stop gelling.

YOU MUST USE WINTERIZED FUEL or add anti-gel to it - and sequester any water that WILL have condensed from the air in a less than full tank whenever the temp drops below the dew point of the air in the tank. Any time the temp[ drops more than about 20 degrees in a day, there will usually be measurable water condensate.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi