During the '30s, '40s, and '50s in Florida there were telephone poles along main roads with multiple crosspieces that had dozens of telephone wires. REA power poles were separate. Driving along the highway you could hear the telephone wires "singing". Even after studying electronics, I never figured out how telephone wires relatively close together "sang". A line in a popular song, "Wichita Lineman" went: "....I hear you singing in the wires...". Those of us dating back to the telephone pole era knew what the singer was talking about.
Gerry

This is interesting. Were they at one time real "telephone poles", owned and operated by the telephone company? If so, would this have been the old familiar Bell System of 30 plus years ago? Or did I have it wrong all these years and the power company owned the poles? If so, how did the name "telephone pole" originate? There always seems to be subscriber on this list who knows the answer to these obscure questions. As a kid (and later) I remember the phone guy climbing up the pole with his equipment on a belt and near the top placing a leather strap like a large belt around the pole so he could lean back and do his job. He always had a red phone dangling from his tool belt that I understood allowed him to call anywhere with no long distance fees. Sometimes he'd be up there for a long time on the phone. Thinking about it now, I'll bet he was calling his girlfriend.
Jerry
82 240D

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7198 (20120605) __________

http://www.eset.com