On 6/5/2012 8:54 PM, Dan Penoff wrote:
Lineman's handset for testing local loops - no long distance. Known in the business as a "butt set".

Dan

I found one of those on the roadside 20 odd years ago. Most of today's people under 30 would not have a clue how to use it. Most of them have never seen a dial phone, and don't know how to use one. When I had land lines, I found it very handy for checking phone wiring. Whenever the phone quit, before I called the bell offspring (whatever the name that year) I would go out to the telly service entrance box, hook up the handset and see if I could call out. Almost all the time it was outside.

Never figured out how to make "free" calls. Once I did find out the number to call for a "loopback" call.