Well, I got the car up on the ramps (which was more difficult because I
didn't want to start up the engine) and took off the belly pan (which is
a plastic-type material).

I had Shirley start the engine and once it warmed up and started leaking,
found roughly where the leak is coming from. It's on the driver's side of
the block toward the front and toward the top. I think it's coming from
the water pump. The thing has a belt driven pulley and a lot of hoses
going to it and has the thermostat on top. Being used to water pumps
behind the fan pulley, it seems a little odd, but apparently they put it
on the side of the block to shorten the engine.

I looked around while I was under the car and then on top and have some
questions:

1. How does one loosen the serpentine belt? The E420 has a spring-loaded
   idler that provides the tension, but I saw nothing like that. The belt
   needs to be replaced.

2. Where are the spark plugs and distributor? (Dumb question, I know, but
   I saw no trace of them.)

3. It appears that to get the radiator out I need to take off the fan and
   the radiator shroud and maybe other things. Is that correct?

4. Anyone been there, done that?

Thanks,

Craig

Present:'95 E320        Sebastian  112 kmi
        '94 E420        Oskar      123 kmi
        '82 240D/3.0    Bluebell   267 kmi
Past:   '86 190E/2.3
        '72 220/8