My guess is that the old alt wasn't putting much of a load on the system,
and the old belt was on it's last legs.

New alternator allows full charge current and puts more stress on belt,
belt snaps.

Long story short, replace belt and then see if it happens again.

Worst case, keep a spare belt in the trunk in case it snaps again.

Walt