That and the 3 cars that I've seen that went into FL with high mileage showing on the odo and came back out of FL few months later with low mileage are why I will try very hard NOT to buy a car that has been titled in FL.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <lwb...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 280SE Cab

I would agree with you, but the market this car is coming from is well known for poseur cars. I didn't even think about the lack of a VIN in the ad - that would be telling in the event that it is a conversion.

The quality of classic or vintage cars in South Florida should always be questioned and thoroughly vetted in the event of a potential purchase.

I spent several years in Pompano and Dade County for work, and during that time looked at probably 100 cars easily for potential buyers. I would have to say that less than five percent were solid cars that were honestly represented. The rest were sloppy "restorations" (and I use that term loosely) that presented well in photos but failed even the "ten foot test" when seen in person.

I was regularly looking at 190s for a guy in Wisconsin. I learned more than you would ever want to know about the 190s, especially their weak areas and how rust prone the bodies and pans were. Nearly every one of these I saw in this area had shoddy repair work in the problem areas, often covered up or concealed as much as the seller could.

There is strong demand from the offshore buyers who come into Miami like you or I would go into Sams Club or Costco. They come to South Florida with loads of cash, spend a week on a shopping spree, arrange for a couple of containers to be shipped home and they are on their way. They are rarely discerning buyers and often purchase things like this sight unseen, only looking at photos and nothing more.

Payment is either in cash or an irrevocable LC, meaning the seller has money in the bank before the car ever leaves the lot. Off it goes to the port to be loaded in a container, never to be seen again.

You can drive down Collins Avenue and other main thoroughfares in the area and there are literally high line independent car dealers on both sides of the street for blocks. They all have very highly desirable cars on the lot in prominent places. If you look at these up close the quality is shocking.

Dan